Hair oil serves to decrease the friction between each strand of hair. It also insulates each strand from the weather and also seeps into your scalp to keep it healthy – a healthy scalp means healthy hair. Oil is necessary for your hair but the way it is applied makes a lot of difference.
- Heat up the oil (this decreases the surface tension of the oil and allows it to spread easily over your scalp)
- Use your hands or soak the oil in cotton balls and apply it on your whole scalp.
- Massage the scalp during application or after to make the oil seep in. ( This also increases blood circulation to your scalp. )
- After you are done with the massage you can let the oil set for a day or you may wash it after an hour.
There are many oils available that promote healthy hair growth. You can use them individually or in combination with other oils. Some of the oils you can use are :
- olive oil
- coconut oil
- almond oil
- castor oil
Egg yolk conditioner mix
Egg yolk is an excellent conditioner that gives hair a good shine and also keeps it smooth so it is less prone to breakage due to friction. Also, it nourishes your hair and scalp with an abundance of proteins.
- Mix equal amounts of egg yolk and a hair oil of your choice ( If you wish, you can apply just egg yolk without any oil.)
- Wet your hair a bit and let the excess water drip away.
- Apply the mix thoroughly on wetted hair and let it set for 15-30 minutes
- Wash your hair in cold water with a little bit of shampoo ( Using warm water will cook the egg yolk in your hair – no one likes their hair looking like an omelet )
A clean scalp is vital for healthy hair. A dirty scalp weakens hair strands and leads to hair fall. So frequent and thorough washing of hair is necessary for good hair growth.
To wash your hair effectively you need a good shampoo – and by good shampoo I mean a shampoo that works for you. A brand or product that does wonders for someone might have adverse effects on you. This is because we all have different kinds of hair and scalps. So through some trial and error, find a shampoo that works for you. I could get into the technicalities of hair products but I’m not a hair chemical expert. So I’ll the leave the choice of shampoo to you.
It is advisable to wash your hair thoroughly once every two days since doing so daily can take up a lot of your time.( Those with long hair can wash it once every four days or once a week but be sure to make that wash count )
A good diet
I cannot emphasize more on a good balanced diet for healthy hair. Just like any other part of the body, hair needs a balanced and optimum nutritional intake. Unhealthy hair is a direct indicator of an unhealthy diet. So watch what you eat – stick as much as possible to raw unprocessed food. Following are the foods that form a necessary diet for good hair
- dairy products such as milk, butter, cheese
- meat such as beef, chicken, goat
This has been the final chapter in my knowledge of hair. But this doesn’t have to end here. If you know something else that I haven’t mentioned, put it in the comments below or write to me at firstname.lastname@example.org – I’ll mention your tips in future posts about hair. You can also get in touch on my social profiles, the links are on the right side.